Saturday, April 18, 2015

Crockpot Paleo Carnitas

In honor of Cinco de Mayo (my favorite non- American holiday if the year!) I'm going to be posting a few of my favorite Mexican inspired recipes. This carnitas tops the list!

Carnitas, or Mexican pulled pork, is a super delicious way to enjoy some southern flavor without any guilt! The best thing about this super flavor filled meat is that your throw it in the crock pot and when you come back it is fall off the bone tender and juicy!

Crockpot Paleo Carnitas 

7 - 10 pounds of pork shoulder (I like to get the most bang for my buck so if it fits in my crockpot I'll make it!)
5 -7 cloves of garlic, peeled but whole
about 1/4 cup of my Taco Seasoning
the juice of 2 limes (I cheated and used 4 TBS of RealLime)
the juice of an orange (in a pinch I have used the juice of a grapefruit and it tasted just fine!)

Trim as much fat as possible off of the pork shoulder, don't go crazy but the more work you do now will save you a ton of tedious work later* - I promise!
Using a sharp knife, make a few large cuts in the pork.
Rub the spice blend all over the meat, being careful not to contaminate anything with your meat covered hands like I did today...Oops!
Place the spice rubbed pork shoulder in your crockpot and add the whole garlic cloves. I like to shoved them in the cuts I made, not sure if it adds more to the flavor but it makes me feel like a did a good job!
Pour citrus juices over meat and cover.
Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours depending on size and time constraints. You know its done when you can easy push the meat off the bone with a fork. MMM tasty!

You can literally just eat the meat by itself, its that good! We usually eat it over some cilantro- lime 'rice' or you can throw it on top of a salad, in scrambled eggs, in homemade tortillas, alongside some guacamole... However you eat it, enjoy it with some friends and family after all there is plenty!!

*When you are finished cooking and ready to store leftovers take the meat out of the crockpot and store it in an airtight container. If you leave it in its juices it will congeal and you will then have to separate it by hand, the dirty and tedious job I referred to earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment