Friday, February 13, 2015

How -To - Cauliflower Rice

When I first heard about cauliflower rice I was very skeptical, cauliflower in my naïve head had a very potent flavor that I didn't think could be masked. Turns out it is one of my favorite vegetables because of its ability to mimic so many non paleo foods! When I discovered its versatility it became a lot easier to live paleo.

Cauliflower 'Rice'

1 head of cauliflower
1 food processor with a shredding blade.

There are 2 different schools of thought on how to make 'rice'. Method 1 is cook its first and shred it later and method 2 is shred it first and cook it later. I have tried both but I go back to method 1 every time. I think it is WAY less messy but maybe that's just me...

Method 1:

Cut your head of cauliflower into manageable pieces (I cut it into pieces I know will fit into the mouth of my food processor without force, the less force the less mess!
Using a steaming basket in a pot, steam cauliflower until you can poke a fork into it without much resistance. Remove lid form pan and remove pan from heat. Do not over cook or you will have mash instead of rice.
Let it cool or you will burn yourself, I burn myself a lot!
Set up your food processor with the shredding attachment and turn on
Add cauliflower piece by piece through the mouth until all of it has been 'riced' you may need to empty the food processor halfway through. Hold your hand near the mouth as it will shoot small pieces back out at you.

That's it! After that you can use it as you would normally use rice. I usually fry mine in some coconut oil with onions and garlic. I also add chopped 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and 4 TBS of lime juice if we are using the rice as a bed for carnitas or fajitas! SO delicious!!

Method 2:

Cut your head of cauliflower into manageable pieces (I cut it into pieces I know will fit into the mouth of my food processor without force, the less force the less mess!
Set up your food processor with the shredding attachment and turn on
Add cauliflower piece by piece through the mouth until all of it has been 'riced' you may need to empty the food processor halfway through. Hold your hand near the mouth as it will shoot small pieces back out at you.
Add 'rice' to a frying pan or pot and add 1 cup of chicken broth (for added flavor), cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until 'rice' is softened.
Use as you would normally use rice.
Steamed and ready for the food processor

In the pan, getting crispy!

My cilantro lime 'rice'

No comments:

Post a Comment