Saturday, February 21, 2015

Waffles. Delicious, Amazing Waffles!

I was never a big waffle or pancake person until I starting eating Paleo then I fell in love with them because they are real, whole ingredients not a bunch of junk! I will never go back to 'normal' waffles and pancakes!

Waffles
Adapted from Brittany Angell's Extra Crispy Waffles

1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup of tapioca starch
2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS xylitol or coconut sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted*
1/2 cup of yogurt** OR 1/2 cup milk + 1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Heat up your waffle maker.
Mix all of the ingredients except coconut oil. When everything is combined, while continuously string, to keep it from seizing up, slowly pour in the coconut oil.
Using 1/4 cup measuring cup pour batter into waffle iron. Every waffle iron is different but it should be about 5-7 minutes to cook. They are done when they easily pull off of the iron.
They can be frozen in a baggie with some parchment paper in between and toasted to heat up!

*If (and when) you double this recipe, do not double the oil, use 1/3 cup of oil instead. The rest of the ingredients double fine.

**Previously the recipe read 1/2 cup of milk and 1 tsp of lemon juice BUT I was making breakfast this morning and of course I'm out of everything...I had to quick make some almond flour and I was completely out of milk. I usually keep some in the pantry just in case but I already used that the other day to make Chia Seed Pudding. Anyway I googled 'can i substitute yogurt for milk' (did you know that you can do that for everything??) because that was the closest thing I had to milk. Turns out you can in a 1 for 1 sub and they were better than the original!! That my friends is called serendipity and I love it!

Side note - these waffles double as bread for sandwiches, burgers, mini pizzas...your imagination is the limit! YUM!!



No comments:

Post a Comment