Thursday, February 19, 2015

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

Don't freak out but this is NOT a strict Paleo recipe! Like I said I follow Phase 1 so I can have limited amounts of organic, unpasteurized dairy. If you are strict Paleo, don't make the icing and you'll be fine!

These are SO good, like no one knows they are, dare I say it...Healthy! Well about as healthy as a cupcake can be. I mean they have carrots in them so that counts for something right?

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
adapted from Doug Kaufman's Phase 1 cookbook

Makes 16-20 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups of almond flour*
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of buckwheat flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS of xylitol
2 packets of stevia
6 TBS avocado oil (or another flavorless oil of choice)
5 large eggs
3 cups of grated carrots (I grated mine in the food processor)

For the icing:
4 TBS of butter, softened
1/2 cup of xylitol (put it in the food processor on high, with a towel over the top to contain the 'dust' until it is the consistency of powdered sugar, or close)
2 packets of stevia
8oz of cream cheese, softened
1 tsp of vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.
Line or grease muffin tins.

For the cupcakes:
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, baking soda, xylitol and stevia.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs and oil.
Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon or spatula (no whisk - you'll regret it!)
Add carrots and mix until combined.
Spoon batter into muffin tins, they only rise a bit so fill 'em up!
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center come out clean.
Cool Completely.

For the icing:
Mix all of the ingredients in the food processor until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
Refrigerate until ready to use.


*I make my own. Almond flour is super expensive and is easy to make. I buy almonds in bulk from BJ's and grind them until fine in the food processor, then store it in freezer baggies in the freezer. I'm not sure how long it lasts in the freezer because I go through it so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment