Paleo and bread don't seem like they belong in the same sentence. Bread is full of gluten, yeast and grains and paleo abstains from all things grain. That's what makes this recipe so wonderful, without the yeast there is no rising and no kneading! You can make a 'loaf' of bread in 15 minutes start to finish - including baking time!! The flat bread holds together well and can be used to accompany some eggs for breakfast or hold together a sandwich and is a totally blank slate for whatever flavors you top it with! It always curbs my bread cravings and helps me stay on track!!
Paleo Bread
Original recipe by Kristen Kons
1 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder)
1/3 cup flax seed meal
7 drops liquid stevia
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 eggs, whisked
1/3 cup plain yogurt
*toppings of choice*
Heat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, no need for one with a lip the batter will not run.
In a mixing bowl combine: almond flour, tapioca starch, flax seed meal, baking soda and salt.
In a smaller bowl combine: eggs, stevia and yogurt. Whisk together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Batter will be sticky.
Pour onto baking sheet and spread to desired thickness, I try my best to spread it out as thin as I can. It won't spread on its own but it will rise a bit.
Add desired toppings and bake for 8 minutes. Bread should be a bit spongy and have a golden brown color.
Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut to desired size, I shoot for 8 rectangular pieces.
Store in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for a month. I cut up the parchment paper and place that in between each piece to keep them from sticking together.
*Toppings depend on what you are going to use the bread for. When I first started making this recipe I just topped it with some sea salt and it went well with some almond butter and also chicken salad. I have also tried topping it with some taco seasoning for sandwiches or dipping in soup. Most recently though I have been making 'everything' bread, adding all of the topping from an everything bagel and it is delicious!!





No comments:
Post a Comment